Installing Published OSDK in Pilot App

I’ve been using Pilot to prototype a front-end application against deployed ontology entities. The workflow so far has been:

  1. Defined object types, actions, and link types in the local ontology definition
  2. Pilot generated a local .osdk directory after deployment
  3. Built out the full UI importing from this local .osdk against production data

However, if I want to move this towards a production deployment, I thought that generating a semantically versioned OSDK package via the Developer Console and installing it as an npm dependency would be better than keeping the OSDK local here. I’ve found (and I’m not sure if I’m doing something incorrectly) that if I then create the OSDK in Dev console and try to replace the .osdk with an import, I can’t easily give the pilot repo access to install the package.

  1. Is there a supported way to install a published SemVer OSDK package within a Pilot workspace?
  2. If not, what is the recommended path from a Pilot prototype to a production-ready application that uses the standard OSDK package workflow?
  3. Is this something on the roadmap?

Hi Dougie,

Pilot does not yet support this workflow in a first class way. However, it is still possible to do use an existing SDK. We are actively working on adding first-class support for existing SDKs and generated platform SDKs very soon.

–

Here’s how you should be able to install a published SDK today:

Like you already did, you just need to generate a new SDK through Developer Console and migrate your codebase to use the Foundry-generated SDK instead of the local one.

The issue you’re running into looks like you don’t have the correct backing artifacts repositories in the Pilot app. To add it:

  1. Go to the Artifacts apps in Foundry - https://.palantirfoundry.com/workspace/artifacts/
  2. Search for your SDK package that was generated
  3. Open up this repository
  4. To make it easier to find later, temporarily add it to your favorites
  5. Now, open up your Pilot app and click the Code workspaces button at the top right.
  6. In Code Workspaces, click Settings in the top bar, and navigate to the “Libraries” section
  7. You should see a “Backing Artifacts repositories” section here
  8. Now, click the + Add… button
  9. Open up the favorites section, and find the artifacts repository you were recently viewing. It’s probably named something along the lines of SDK Artifacts Repository - ri.third-party-applications.main.application.
  10. Finish adding it, and restart your container. Your generated SDK should not be available to install.

We are working on making this a more streamlined process. Please do let me know if you run into any issues! Thanks!

Brandon

That’s great - thanks for the prompt response.

The addition of the artifact repository as a Library was something I tried but couldn’t find the repo via search using the name or RID - favouriting the artifact repo did the trick.

Many thanks